< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Seattle Beginnings: Brighton Post Office opens on April 11, 1901.
HistoryLink.org Essay 570
: Printer-Friendly Format
On April 11, 1901, an attempt is made to establish the Brighton Post Office. Mrs. Arline F. Maxwell is appointed postmaster. The post office is reestablished on October 23, 1901, and Mary E. Hadlock is appointed postmaster. The mail is distributed from the Hadlock grocery store at the northeast corner of Rainier Avenue S and S Holly Street.
On October 31, 1911, the post office closed. It was located five miles southeast of the business district of Seattle within the future city limits in the Brighton neighborhood.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 662-663.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Government & Politics |
Cities & Towns |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You