< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Seattle beginnings: Dunlap Post Office opens on May 3, 1894.
HistoryLink.org Essay 558
: Printer-Friendly Format
On May 3, 1894, the Dunlap Post Office opens. Platt A. Smith serves as the first postmaster. The post office is located in the corner of a store called Fidder's Grocery.
The post office closed on October 31, 1911.
Dunlap was located six miles south of Seattle about one-half mile from Lake Washington. The place was within the future city limits of Seattle near the intersection of South Cloverdale Street and Rainier Avenue S.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 649.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Cities & Towns |
Seattle Neighborhoods |
Government & Politics |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You