< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Sherwood Post Office opens on July 29, 1892.
HistoryLink.org Essay 550
: Printer-Friendly Format
On July 29, 1892 Sherwood Post Office opens. Sherwood was located at a coal mine 23 miles east of Seattle along the Pacific Coast Railroad line. Wells Green is the first postmaster. On October 22, 1895, the post office closes for three and a half years.
On May 31, 1899, Sherwood Post Office reopened. Paul Bassen was the postmaster when it reopened. It continued operating until April 30, 1901, when it closed for good.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 642.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Cities & Towns |
Government & Politics |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You