Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6772 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

First county seat of Okanogan County is established at Ruby City on March 7, 1888.

HistoryLink.org Essay 5438 : Printer-Friendly Format

On March 7, 1888, the first county seat of Okanogan County is established at the mining town of Ruby City. Seven months later, voters disgusted with the unruly nature of Ruby City, will move the county offices to Salmon City, which is renamed Conconully. In 1914, the county seat will move for the last time to Okanogan.

In the 1880s, silver was discovered in the Okanogan Valley and Ruby City became a center of production. The town also became one of the wildest towns in the West. The area was part of Stevens County and miners, ranchers, and businessmen with official business had to trek 200 miles to the county seat in Colville. In 1888, local residents managed -- over the stiff opposition of Colville politicians -- to get a bill through the Territorial Legislature establishing Okanogan County.

Three county commissioners were named in the bill to establish the county: rancher William Granger, Ruby City store owner George Hurley, and Harvard-educated cattleman Guy Waring. The three met in a log cabin in March 1888 to organize a county government. Ruby City and Salmon City both vied for the honor of being county seat. In his memoir, Commissioner Waring described how, "Whores, thieves, and drunkards, and other notorious citizens of the mining town were on hand. They were agreably drunk, and seranaded us so loudly that it was difficult for anybody inside the ranch house to hear himself speak." By the next day, the partisans had swung Granger to their cause and Ruby City became the county seat.

County officials set up shop in leased space in Ruby City, but the treasurer was so distrustful of the place that he hid the treasury in a baking powder can buried on his farm. In November 1888, the voters of the county moved the seat to Salmon City, which was renamed Conconully. Ruby City's fortunes faded with the Panic of 1893 and the crash in silver prices in 1899, and was eventually abandoned.

Conconully fought off several efforts to move the county seat to Chelan (which eventually formed its own county). Riverside took a run at being the county seat in 1908 and even built a courthouse. Twisp and Oroville tried in 1911. In 1914, the agricultural communities of Okanogan and Omak contended mightily for the honor. Okanogan won that election and by Christmas 1914, Okanogan was the county seat of Okanogan County.

Sources:
David L. Chapman, "Everything Rolled Downhill: A Brief History of the Okanogan County Courthouse," Columbia: The Magazine of Northwest History, Winter 1999-2000, pp. 18-23. See Also: Guy Waring, My Pioneer Past (Boston: Bruce Humphies, Inc., 1936).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Counties | Society | Cities & Towns |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Cabin at the head of Johnson Creek on John Perkins' ranch where Okanogan County was organized in March 1888, n.d.
Courtesy UW Special Collections


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org