< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Birch Post Office opens on March 23, 1892.
HistoryLink.org Essay 535
: Printer-Friendly Format
On March 23, 1892 Birch Post Office opens. Arnold Keller is appointed and serves as the only postmaster. On July 15, 1897, the post office closes. Birch is located 30 miles southeast of Seattle 1.5 miles northeast of Enumclaw along the Northern Pacific Railroad line.
All land in the Western United States, including King County, Washington, is surveyed into a rectangular grid system in accordance with the U. S. Land Ordinance of 1785. The grid system, used to identify the legal boundaries of real estate, divides land into sections and townships. A section is one square mile (640 acres) and a township is 36 sections (36 square miles). Birch is located
at the southwest quarter Section 7 Township 20 N Range 7 E.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 640.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Post Offices |
Cities & Towns |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You