Captain George Vancouver Julia Butler Hansen Carlos Bulosan Ernestine Anderson Kurt Cobain Bill Gates & Paul Allen Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6870 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Eagle Gorge Beginnings: Ferndale (later Eagle Gorge) Post Office opens on March 2, 1891.

HistoryLink.org Essay 527 : Printer-Friendly Format

The Ferndale Post Office (later Eagle Gorge) opens on March 2, 1891. James M. Henderson is the first postmaster. Eagle Gorge is located in east King County, eight miles east of Black Diamond, 35 miles southeast of Seattle along the Green River.

On December 3, 1891, the Ferndale Post Office changed its name to Eagle Gorge. The post office closed on January 21, 1902, and remained closed for four years.

The Eagle Gorge Post Office reopened on December 18, 1905. The new postmaster was Eva B. O'Conner. The post office continued operating until April 15, 1932, except for a brief period from August 31, 1925 until April 30, 1926.

On April 15, 1932, the Eagle Gorge Post Office was renamed Baldi and moved to the former Baldi site.

Eagle Gorge is located eight miles east of Black Diamond, 35 miles southeast of Seattle as the crow flies (70 rail miles), along the Green River.

Ferndale (Eagle Gorge) grew potatoes, hops, fruit, and produce. It was located one mile from Cascade Division of the Northern Pacific Railroad, whose station there was called Eagle Gorge. The federal land survey had just been completed at the time the post office opened, and land could be purchased or homesteaded.

Sources:
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 636-637; R. L. Polk & Co., Oregon Washington and Idaho Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1891-92, Vol.5 (Portland, OR: Published by R. L. Polk, 1889), 771, 794.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Cities & Towns |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org