< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Black River Post Office opens on August 12, 1891.
HistoryLink.org Essay 526
: Printer-Friendly Format
On August 12, 1891, the Black River Post Office opens. Henry A. MacMillan is the first postmaster. The mail is distributed from the railroad depot.
On September 15, 1909, the post office closed. Black River was located 10 miles south of Seattle about two miles west of Renton along the Northern Pacific Railroad line on the east bank of Duwamish River.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 634-635.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Cities & Towns |
Government & Politics |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You