< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Kangley/Selleck beginnings: Kangley Post Office opens on June 30, 1890.
HistoryLink.org Essay 523
: Printer-Friendly Format
Kangley Post Office is established on June 30, 1890. John Peterson Jr. is the first postmaster. Mail is distributed at the coal mine where Peterson works. On October 20, 1898, the post office closes for four years.
Kangley Post Office reopened on February 28, 1903. When it reopened John Lavender was postmaster. The mail was distributed from Lavender's store. On March 4, 1910, the post office name changed to Selleck.
Kangley is located 29 miles southeast of Seattle and was on the Northern Pacific and Milwaukee Railroad line.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 631.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Government & Politics |
Cities & Towns |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You