< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Seattle Beginnings: Ballard Post Office opens on August 22, 1889.
HistoryLink.org Essay 521
: Printer-Friendly Format
On August 22, 1889, the Ballard Post Office opens. Abraham G. Thompson is the first postmaster. On January 31, 1908, some months after the city of Ballard is annexed to Seattle, the post office becomes a branch of the main Seattle post office. Ballard is located five miles north of the business district of Seattle on the north side of Salmon Bay.
In May 1888, the area that became Ballard was an enormous 700 acre (1.1 square miles) subdivision called Gilman Park. It was platted by the West Coast Improvement Company managed by Captain W. R. Ballard. The following year, when the Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern Railway constructed a railroad spur to the development, the station was named Ballard.
In November 1890, the town of Ballard was incorporated with a mayor and city council. Just three years after the post office was established, the 1892 Polk Gazetteer gave the following description of the flourishing town:
"An electric street railway connects the place with Seattle. Ballard contains Methodist, Baptist, Catholic, Lutheran, and Presbyterian churches, three saw mills and three shingle mills, two ship yards, a sash and door factory, a large foundry, water works, commodious hotels, and electric light system, good schools, finely improved streets, many substantial buildings, 2000 inhabitants and a bright weekly newspaper" (Oregon, Washington and Idaho Gazetteer 1892).
By 1901, Ballard had turned into a major manufacturing town boasting of "more shingles being produced here daily than in any other city in the world." It also had sawmills, shipyards, foundries, and boiler works. Three weekly newspapers served a claimed population of 5,500.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 622; Edmond S. Meany, Origin of Washington Geographic Names (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1923);
R. L. Polk & Co., Oregon, Washington and Idaho Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1891-92 (Portland, OR: R. L. Polk & Co., 1892);
R.L. Polk & Co., Oregon, Washington and Alaska Gazetteer and Business Directory 1901-1902 (n.c.: R. L. Polk & Co., 1901).
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Government & Politics |
Cities & Towns |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You
Ballard Avenue from City Hall, Ballard, ca. 1900
Ballard logging camp, 1890s