William O. Douglas Betty Bowen Carl Maxey Chief Joseph Bertha Landes Buffalo Soldier Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6835 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

The Granada Theatre in Camas opens its doors on June 14, 1927.

HistoryLink.org Essay 5125 : Printer-Friendly Format

On June 14, 1927, the Granada Theatre in Camas debuts, showing the silent feature Lost at the Front, a war comedy starring Charlie Murray and George Sidney.  The theater is located at 315 N.E. 4th Avenue, and seats approximately 800 people. Camas is located in Clark County in southwestern Washington along the Columbia River.

Costing roughly $75,000 to build, the Granada sported a Moorish/Spanish flavor consistent with its name.  The venue was envisioned by architect P. M. Hall Lewis of Portland, with interior work (and a unique Art Deco entryway) designed by Charles Anman, also of Portland.  Financing for the project was raised by local Camas men -- C. E. Farrell owned the land, partnering with O. F. Johnson, Roy Young, A. L. Powers, and F. W. Harrington, who operated under the banner of the Community Investment Corporation.

The Granada’s original stage was 25 feet deep and 32 feet wide, with a drop curtain of 22 feet top-to-bottom.  The color scheme of the house was blue and gold, and no expense, it seemed, was spared to give the venue a luxurious feel.  All told, the interior fixtures and furnishings cost a reported $30,000, which included a $12,000 organ and $6,000 spent on auditorium seating.  “The new structure has placed Camas in the foreground of many more pretentious cities in the theatrical world,” boasted the Camas Post-Record, “and is going to prove an enduring monument to the credit of Mr. Farrell in the undertaking and carrying out a project of this type and magnitude” (Post-Record).

And endure the Granada has, albeit under its new name, the Liberty.  Despite a fire that gutted the historic theater in 1994, the Farrell family -- who still owned the venue at the time -- lovingly restored Camas’s only movie theater to its former glory.

Sources:
“Liberty (Granada) Theatre, Camas, Washington” Puget Sound Theatre Organ Society Website, (www.pstos.org/instruments/wa/camas/liberty.htm); “History,” Liberty Theater Website, (www.libertytheater.com/history.htm); “Granada Theatre Doors Swing Open,” Camas Post-Record, June 10, 1927, Liberty Theatre Website, Ibid.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Film | Buildings |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Granada Theatre, Camas, 1927
Courtesy Liberty Theatre


Liberty Theatre (1927), 1998
Courtesy Liberty Theatre


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org