< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Tacoma City Light's Alder Dam on the Nisqually River generates electricity in September 1945.
HistoryLink.org Essay 5116
: Printer-Friendly Format
In September 1945, Tacoma City Light’s Alder Dam on the Nisqually River generates electricity for the first time. The dam is built upstream from Tacoma’s first hydroelectric project at LaGrande and is part of a major expansion of the Nisqually project during World War II. LaGrande Dam is also completed this month to replace a smaller dam for the LaGrande powerhouse.
Tacoma City Light had completed a diversion dam and hydroelectric plant at LaGrande in 1912, and two dams on the Skokomish River in the 1920s. Tacoma City Light’s load grew in the 1930s and the defense buildup in 1940 projected even more demand. During World War II, Tacoma had to purchase power from Seattle and from the Bonneville Power Administration for its war industries and for the flood of new residents. The extra power was costing $1 million a year.
Alder was a concrete arch structure, 330 feet high, two miles above the smaller dam at LaGrande. The town of Alder, population 200, was inundated by the reservoir in 1944. Construction was hampered by faults in the bedrock that required more excavation than planned. The labor shortage during the war also slowed progress. The Alder Powerhouse generated 50,000 kilowatts.
LaGrande was a concrete structure 192 feet high that replaced the 45-foot diversion dam. The additional impoundment of water increased the output of the powerhouse by 80 percent to 64,000 kilowatts.
Total cost of both projects was $23.6 million, more than twice the original estimate.
Dick Malloy and John S. Ott, The Tacoma Public Utilities Story (Tacoma: Tacoma Public Utilities, 1993), 124; Eijiro Kawada, “'Nice Little Town' of Alder Moved Out 57 Years Ago Before Dam Came: Foundation Remnants Stir Fond Memories of Life in Tiny Community,” The News Tribune (South Sound Edition), February 20, 2001, p. A-8; Al Gibbs, “City Light’s Nisqually Dams Are Relicensed,” The News Tribune, March 31, 1997, p. B-4.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Washington Rivers |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You