William O. Douglas Betty Bowen Carl Maxey Chief Joseph Bertha Landes Buffalo Soldier Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6771 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Pierce County voters create Port of Tacoma on November 5, 1918.

HistoryLink.org Essay 5077 : Printer-Friendly Format

On November 5, 1918, voters in Pierce County create a municipally owned Port of Tacoma. The vote -- 15,054 in favor, 3,429 against - passes by a 5 to 1 margin. Until the vote, the Tacoma waterfront was privately owned by railroads (especially the Milwaukee Road) and by such firms as Todd Shipyards and the St. Paul and Tacoma Lumber Co. Two municipally owned docks were the only public property on the extensive waterfront of Commencement Bay.

The Tacoma and Pierce County economy was booming during these years of World War I, with lumber at the center. Douglas fir went to ship construction and spruce went to aircraft construction. Besides the many lumber and shingle mills, there were shipyards, flour mills, and the electrometallurgy (especially copper) and electrochemical industries. The overwhelming vote in favor of a publicly owned port came in the context of this robust and growing economy.

In 1911 the Washington State Legislature had passed a law enabling municipalities to form port districts. In 1912, Pierce County voters turned down the port by a narrow margin. Some of the opponents were farmers outside Tacoma who didn't see why the present system of getting goods to the waterfront wasn't sufficient.

Preceding the 1918 election an intense campaign was mounted. To reach the farmers, advocates noted that 30 percent of the crop of potatoes and apples had rotted in 1917 because of lack of proper warehousing. Port advocates noted that private docks were turning away cargo. They felt that the city with a modern, publicly owned port would reap the advantage of the ever-increasing maritime commerce whereas a city like Tacoma at the time, with inadequate docking, antiquated warehousing, and lack of a coordinated port authority would lose this commerce.

A Vote For Progress

The Tacoma Daily Ledger editorialized on the eve of the elections:

"This is one of the most important elections Pierce has yet seen.

"The voters will decide between lethargy and growth; whether a portion of the Pacific trade of tomorrow shall be brought here, or whether more wide-awake communities shall wax greatly from it without competition; whether the people here can see visions and work to realize them, or whether they prefer quiet, unmolested by any noise of Material advancement.

"Vote for progress, for more work, for increased value of property, for larger population, for better markets for products of the soil. No man should stand against the best interests of Tacoma. Therefore, every man should vote for the Port proposal.

"The mammoth commerce of the coming years will be handled by the ports that dare" (quoted in The Working Waterfront, 45).

 

Voters agreed, and the Port of Tacoma came into existence. Chester Thorne, a banker, Edward Kloss, a longshore official, and Charles W. Orton, a Sumner fruit and dairy farmer were elected Port Commissioners. In 1919 Pierce County citizens passed a $2.5 million bond issue to plan and build facilities. The Port of Tacoma began development on 240 acres of tideflats.

Sources:
Ronald Magden and A. D. Martinson, The Working Waterfront: The Story of Tacoma's Ships and Men (Tacoma: International Longshoremen's and Warehousemen's Union, Local 23 and Port of Tacoma, 1982), 43-47; Port of Tacoma website accessed January 18, 2003 (www.portoftacoma.com).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Special Suite: Port of Tacoma |

Related Topics: Maritime |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
City of Tacoma Economic Development Department


Lumber awaiting shipment, Port of Tacoma, ca. 1921
Photo (detail) by Marvin D. Roland, Courtesy UW Special Collections (Neg.UW5366)


Chester Thorne (1863-1927)
Courtesy Tacoma New Tribune


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org