< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Tacoma City Light's LaGrande Powerhouse on the Nisqually River delivers electricity on November 6, 1912.
HistoryLink.org Essay 5075
: Printer-Friendly Format
On November 6, 1912, Tacoma City Light’s LaGrande Powerhouse on the Nisqually River delivers electricity for the first time. The project makes Tacoma independent of privately owned sources of electricity by supplying all of the city’s needs for the rest of the decade.
When Tacoma purchased the electric utilities of the Tacoma Light and Water Co. in 1893, the system consisted of little more than the streetlights and the system for distributing power. Most current was purchased from street railway companies and from private firms such as the Seattle-Tacoma Power Co. Tacoma wanted to be independent of the Eastern interests who controlled the power companies.
In 1907, City Light investigated building its own hydroelectric plant and found a good location on the upper Nisqually River near LaGrande. The following year, Stone & Webster, the Boston conglomerate that provided most of the city’s current, raised its rates. Then the company shut off power to the city’s water pumps. On January 2, 1909, Tacoma voters approved $2.3 million in bonds for the project, by a margin of three to one.
Tacoma started building a hydro plant at the same time it was building a 43-mile water line from the Green River. Construction of the hydro project began in February 1910, 36 miles southeast of Tacoma at the foot of Mount Rainier. A 35-foot high diversion dam directed water into a settling channel (to remove silt), then into a two-mile tunnel blasted out of solid rock. The tunnel fed four penstocks that dropped 410 feet to a powerhouse equipped with four Allis-Chalmers turbines and generators. A 36-mile transmission line carried the current to a substation at South 25th Street and C Street. The project was completed on time, on budget, and according to plan.
The LaGrande Powerhouse was upgraded in 1945 with the addition of a higher dam to impound more water.
Dick Malloy and John S. Ott, The Tacoma Public Utilities Story -- The First 100 Years: 1893-1993 (Tacoma: Tacoma Public Utilities, 1993), 26-31, 49-53.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You