< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Company incorporates on June 4, 1888.
HistoryLink.org Essay 5066
: Printer-Friendly Format
On June 4, 1888, the St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Co. incorporates. The incorporators are lumber and real-estate magnates who arrive that day by train from Minnesota and Wisconsin. The next day Tacoma headlines shout the event: "The monster milling company of Tacoma organized." The firm, known locally as the St. Paul, spurs what the historian Murray Morgan calls the greatest boom in Tacoma's history.
The St. Paul was capitalized at $1,500,000. The officers were:
- Colonel Chauncey Griggs, President. Colonel Griggs had made a fortune in real estate in St. Paul.
- Addison Foster, Vice President. Foster was the business partner of Griggs.
- Henry Hewitt Jr., Treasurer. A lumberman said to be the richest man in Wisconsin.
- George Browne, Secretary. Browne was vice president of the Tacoma and Fern Hill Street Railway Co.
- Charles Hebard Jones, in charge of all lumber and mining operations. He was Hewitt's partner and brother in law. He owned a lumber company in Menominee, Michigan.
- Peter J. Salscheider, millwright. Salscheider was supposed to be the best millwright in Wisconsin.
- Herbert Griggs, lawyer. Herbert was Chauncey Griggs's son, and a recent graduate of Yale. He would open a private law firm that would handle the legal business of the lumber company.
Before the firm was incorporated, these entrepreneurs had purchased 80,000 acres of Pierce County timberland, mostly Douglas fir, from the Northern Pacific Railroad's land grant. They had received from the Railroad a small island on the Tacoma waterfront called "the boot," and had purchased other land as well.
By 1889, they had built the mill, laid tracks into the forest, established camps and skidroads, and were transporting 50 carloads of logs a day into Tacoma for processing.
Murray Morgan, The Mill on the Boot: The Story of the St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Company (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1982).
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You