William O. Douglas Betty Bowen Carl Maxey Chief Joseph Bertha Landes Buffalo Soldier Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6819 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Tacoma builds Washington state's first municipal dock in January 1911.

HistoryLink.org Essay 5038 : Printer-Friendly Format

In January 1911, Tacoma builds the first publicly owned dock in the state of Washington. The dock is built on the tideflats north of 15th Street. Tacoma Mayor Angelo Fawcett, a staunch advocate of public ownership of all utilities, led the campaign for the municipal dock.

The dock was completed at a cost of $270,850. The grand opening took place in February 1911, and a newspaper enthused:

“On all sides today, Mayor Fawcett is being congratulated for the enterprise he showed in bringing the dock proposition before the people in the first place and for putting it through to a successful consummation.

“The opening is taken to signal a new industrial epoch in Tacoma. Tacoma now leads many cities in a variety of ways. She owns her own electric light plant and now she owns her own dock” (quoted in Magden).

The account envisions further municipal docks to be built, with room for all of Puget Sound’s mosquito fleet and larger ships as well.

Sources:
Ronald Magden and A. D. Martinson, The Working Waterfront: The Story of Tacoma’s Ships and Men (Tacoma: International Longshoremen's and Warehousemen's Union, Local 23 and Port of Tacoma, 1982), 9.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Maritime | Cities & Towns | Firsts |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Municipal Dock, Tacoma, 1910s
Postcard


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org