< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Vashon Island beginnings: Chautauqua Post Office (renamed Ellisport) opens on September 10, 1888.
HistoryLink.org Essay 495
: Printer-Friendly Format
On September 10, 1888, the Chautauqua Post Office opens. Edward E. Perry is appointed first postmaster.
The name Chautauqua changed to Ellisport on February 27, 1912. The town is located on the east shore of Vashon Island at the north end of Tramp Harbor. Vashon Island is in Puget Sound between Seattle and Tacoma.
Chautauqua was the site of the first "Chautauqua," a summertime presentation of lectures, discussions, and cultural activities lasting several days to a week in a resort atmosphere. Puget Sound's first Chautauqua took place on Vashon Island in August 1885.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 612; "Chautauqua comes to Vashon Island on August 3, 1885," HistoryLink Timeline Library, (www.historylink.org).
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Government & Politics |
Cities & Towns |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You