< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Adelaide Post Office opens on August 2, 1886.
HistoryLink.org Essay 484
: Printer-Friendly Format
On August 2, 1886, Adelaide Post Office opens. George W. Cunningham is the first postmaster. Adelaide is located 19 miles south of Seattle along Puget Sound, about three miles from Dash Point.
Adelaide was a place of orchards and farms: The main products were fruits and vegetables. In 1889, 25 school aged children lived in the district. Adelaide had a sawmill named Martin & Co. It was on the Seattle, Lakeshore & Eastern railroad line, and there was a steamer to Tacoma.
The post office closed permanently on January 15, 1931.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 601; R. L. Polk & Co., Oregon Washington and Idaho Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1889-90, Vol. 4 (Portland, OR: R. L. Polk, 1889), 560.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Cities & Towns |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You