< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Redmond beginnings: Melrose Post Office name changed to Redmond on March 19, 1883.
HistoryLink.org Essay 452
: Printer-Friendly Format
Redmond Post Office, called Melrose when it opened on June 28, 1881, changes to Redmond on March 19, 1883. Luke M. McRedmond is the postmaster at the time of the name change. Redmond is located in King County on the eastside of Lake Washington, four miles east of Kirkland.
Luke M. McRedmond (1820-1898) was appointed postmaster of Melrose on December 11, 1882. He persuaded the U. S. Post Office to change the name to Redmond three months later. The post office was located in the Redmond Trading Company, a general store. The Seattle, Lakeshore & Eastern Railroad arrived in 1885. Before that the mail was delivered on the wagon road around the north of Lake Washington. Logging and milling were the main industries of Redmond.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 579-582.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Government & Politics |
Cities & Towns |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You