< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Kirkland beginnings: Houghton Post Office opens on June 20, 1881.
HistoryLink.org Essay 449
: Printer-Friendly Format
Houghton Post Office is established on June 20, 1881. James Curtis is the first postmaster. The post office is located seven miles northwest of Seattle within the future city limits of Kirkland on the east shore of Lake Washington along the Northern Pacific Railroad line.
The post office did not operate from December 15, 1905 till January 22, 1906. On April 15, 1961, it became a branch of the Kirkland Post Office. The branch closed sometime during 1962-1963.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 574-575.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Government & Politics |
Cities & Towns |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You