< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Buenna/Redondo Beginnings: Milton Post Office opens on December 3, 1878.
HistoryLink.org Essay 446
: Printer-Friendly Format
The Milton Post Office is established on December 3, 1878. Walter D. Cotton is the first postmaster. The post office is located 18 miles south of Seattle within the future city limits of Federal Way. The post office went through several names: Milton, Buenna, Stones, and finally Redondo. This Milton should not be confused with a Milton located in Pierce County near Tacoma, nor with a Milton located on Duwamish Head in Seattle.
From March 10, 1879 to July 18, 1888, the post office did not operate. It reopened on July 18, 1888. Lorenzo D. Hurlbut was the postmaster.
Milton was located one mile from Stone's Landing on Puget Sound. In 1889, the town had a population of about 150 people, a Congregational church, and two sawmills. Milton also had orchards and produced fruit. There were 60 school children in the surrounding district. A daily steamer to Tacoma cost 75 cents.
In 1890, the Milton Post Office closed and the name of the town changed to Buenna (on September 19). The new Buenna Post Office opened right next to Puget Sound, on Poverty Bay, where most of the commercial activity had always taken place. Joseph P. Bucey was the postmaster. Buenna is located 19 miles south of Seattle 1.25 miles southwest of Redondo near Puget Sound.
On February 12, 1899, the name changed to Stones. Joseph P. Bucey was still the postmaster at the time of this name change. On October 8, 1904, the named changed to Redondo.
Operation of the Redondo Post Office was transferred to the Auburn Post Office on September 14, 1963.
At each name change the post office had a different location: Milton, about two miles west of the 1960 location of the Redondo Post Office; Buenna about 1.25 miles southwest; and Stones at Stones Landing along Puget Sound.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 573; R. L. Polk & Co., Oregon Washington and Idaho Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1889-90, Vol. 4 (Portland, OR: Published by R. L. Polk, 1889), 672.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Cities & Towns |
Government & Politics |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You