< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Georgetown Beginnings: D'wamish Post Office opens on June 24, 1874.
HistoryLink.org Essay 426
: Printer-Friendly Format
On June 24, 1874, the D'wamish Post Office opens. Henry H. Miller is the first postmaster. The post office is located on the west side of the Duwamish River within the future city limits of Seattle at about 1st Avenue S and Michigan Street (1998 street names). The post office did not operate from October 18, 1889 to August 30, 1890.
The name of the D'wamish Post Office changed to Georgetown on June 19, 1901. George R. Street was appointed postmaster.
On August 31, 1910, Georgetown became a branch of the Seattle Post Office after the area was annexed to the city of Seattle. Georgetown is located five miles south of the business district of Seattle.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 566.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Government & Politics |
Cities & Towns |
Seattle Neighborhoods |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You