Captain George Vancouver Julia Butler Hansen Carlos Bulosan Ernestine Anderson Kurt Cobain Bill Gates & Paul Allen Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6815 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

North Bend Beginnings: Snoqualmie (renamed Mountain View, renamed North Bend) Post Office opens on May 20, 1870.

HistoryLink.org Essay 423 : Printer-Friendly Format

The North Bend Post Office was originally called Snoqualmie and then Mountain View. On May 20, 1870, the Snoqualmie Post Office is established. Jeremiah W. Borst (1830-1890) is appointed the first postmaster. Borst located the post office at his trading post, the only one in the upper Snoqualmie Valley.

On March 3, 1890, the name Snoqualmie was changed to Mountain View. Alfred A. Fisk was postmaster at the time of the name change. He distributed mail from his store at a road tollgate.

The U.S. Post Office Department objected to the name Mountain View, and on December 31, 1890, the name was changed to North Bend. Fisk still was acting as postmaster at the time of the name change.

The North Bend post office is located on the Snoqualmie River at the northeast quarter of Section 9 Township 23 N Range 8 E. This should not be confused with the Snoqualmie Post Office, established in 1889, and located three miles northwest of North Bend, which continues (in 1998) to operate.

Sources:
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 559-560.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Cities & Towns | Government & Politics | Infrastructure |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




North Bend with Mount Si, 1891
Courtesy UW Special Collections


Jeremiah Borst (1830-1890)
Courtesy Clarence Bagley


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org