< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Renton Beginnings: Black River Post Office opens on January 21, 1867.
HistoryLink.org Essay 421
: Printer-Friendly Format
The Black River Post Office is established on January 21, 1867, the same day Slaughter (renamed Auburn) and White River Post Offices open. Christian C. Clymer is the first postmaster and he operates the post office from his house.
The post office did not operate from October 23, 1868 till December 28, 1869.
The name changed to Renton on February 21, 1876.
Renton is located at the south end of Lake Washington about 12 miles from Seattle. It was located near extensive coal mines and also became a center of dairy farming and orchards.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 559; Bureau of Statistics, Agriculture and Immigration, A Review of the Resources and Industries of Washington 1905 (Olympia: C. W. Gorham Public Printers, 1905), 138.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Government & Politics |
Cities & Towns |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You