< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Gilman (later Issaquah) incorporates on April 29, 1892.
HistoryLink.org Essay 4195
: Printer-Friendly Format
On April 29, 1892, the town of Gilman incorporates. Originally named Squak, the community changes its name to Issaquah in 1899.
In 1862, the first white settlers homesteaded south of Lake Sammamish in what they named Squak valley. The name Squak was the white man's pronunciation of the Indian name Is-qu-ah, meaning snake, although others say that the name meant “little stream,” or possibly the sound of the northern crane, a bird common to the valley.
The first documented mention of the name Squak is from 1869 election records. The Squak Post Office opened the following year. William Pickering, Jr., son of Territorial Governor William Pickering, was the town’s first postmaster.
In 1887, the town was platted as Englewood but was not officially incorporated until 1892. At the time, the name Gilman was chosen in honor of Daniel Hunt Gilman, who had established the nearby Seattle Coal and Iron Co. coal mines Gilman was also one of the backers of the Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern Railroad, which brought much business to the burgeoning community.
Naming the town Gilman created a problem with the post office, as there was already a town named Gilmer in Klickitat County. To stave off any confusion, the Squak Post Office was renamed Olney. This meant that the town had one name, but its post office had another.
The townsfolk must have liked the name Squak. By 1895, most of them continued calling their community that name instead of Gilman. They urged the state legislature to let them rename the town, and it was changed to Issaquah -- a closer approximation of the original Indian name -- on February 2, 1899.
Clarence B. Bagley, History of Seattle Volume II, (Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co, 1916) Vol. I, 765-766; “Issaquah Reviews History as Washington Celebrates Its Centennial Anniversary” Issaquah Press, September 3, 1953, p. 3; “How Did Issaquah Get Its Name?” Bellevue Journal-American, April 22, 1992, special supplement p. 13; Eric Erickson, "Original Names Don't Necessarily Reflect History," Issaquah History On-Line (http://issaquahhistory.org/archives/ placenames_erickson_feb2002.htm), 2002.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Cities & Towns |
Government & Politics |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You