William O. Douglas Betty Bowen Carl Maxey Chief Joseph Bertha Landes Buffalo Soldier Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6805 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Bellevue Square opens on August 20, 1946.

HistoryLink.org Essay 4143 : Printer-Friendly Format

On August 20, 1946, Bellevue Square opens in downtown Bellevue. It is the first regional suburban shopping center in the Pacific Northwest.

The shopping center got its start in 1944, when Kemper Freeman Sr. began buying property with the help of his father, Miller Freeman. Building materials during wartime were hard to come by, but the Freemans were able to convince the government to give them permission to build a movie theater as a homefront morale booster. Construction began before war's end, and the 550-seat Bel-Vue Theatre opened on March 20, 1946.

Next to open were the Kandy Kane and the Crabapple Restaurants, both of which became popular meeting places for years to come. After that came Frederick & Nelson, a Seattle-based department store that promised to rent a small one-story building for three years, during which time they only sold women's and children's clothing.

Bellevue Square's grand opening on August 20, 1946, was heralded by searchlights, an orchestra, and a live radio broadcast. The shopping center proved to be a success, and within a few years Frederick & Nelson moved into a much larger building. Later still, the Square attracted other department stores such as the Bon Marche, Nordstrom, and J.C. Penney.

Sources:
Lucile McDonald, Bellevue: Its First 100 Years (Bellevue: Bellevue Historical Society, 2000), 136-142.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Cities & Towns | Business | Buildings |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Bellevue Square, 1940s
Courtesy Bellevue Square


Frederick and Nelson, Bellevue Square, 1950s
Postcard


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org