William O. Douglas Betty Bowen Carl Maxey Chief Joseph Bertha Landes Buffalo Soldier Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6852 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Auburn beginnings: Slaughter Post Office opens on January 21, 1867.

HistoryLink.org Essay 388 : Printer-Friendly Format

On January 21, 1867, the Slaughter Post Office opens. The same day the White River and Black River (later renamed Renton) post offices open as well. Joseph Gibson is appointed postmaster of Slaughter. (The post office did not operate from October 23, 1868 to December 27, 1869.)

A Farming Community

Slaughter was a small community serving the nearby farmers. Levi W. Ballard homesteaded the area about 1866 and named the post office Slaughter, in honor of Lieutenant W. A. Slaughter, who was shot and killed in the area by Indians during the 1855-1856 "Indian War."

Joseph Gibson and later Alexander S. Hughes operated the post office out of their residences. Hughes was also the town physician. Starting in 1870, the mail was delivered on horseback once a week.

Levi W. Ballard, the original homesteader of the town, moved the post office to his general store in August 1878. Ballard ran the only general store in town. In 1880 the town supported two physicians, a blacksmith, an architect, an engineer, a nurseryman, and a dressmaker.

The Slaughter Boom of the Eighties

In 1884, Slaughter claimed a population of 20 and mail was delivered twice a week until the railroad line started regular service. The population jumped from 25 in 1886 to an estimated 300 the following year. A probable reason for the dramatic increase in population was better railroad service. In late 1886, Matthew H. Conners operated the post office out of his hotel.

In 1893 citizens successfully petitioned the Washington State Legislature to change name of Slaughter to Auburn. On September 8, 1893, the name changed to Auburn. John S. Porter was the postmaster at the time of the name change. He distributed the mail from the ground floor of a two-story residential building on Cedar Street.

Auburn is located 20 miles south of Seattle six miles south of Kent, and was situated along four major railroad lines in the Green River Valley.

Sources:
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 557-559, 646-649; Henry G. Langley, The Pacific Coast Business Directory for 1876-78 (San Francisco: Henry G. Langley, Publisher, 1875); L.M. McKenney & Co., Pacific Coast Directory, for 1880-81 ... of California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Utah, Montana, Idaho, Arizona, and British Columbia (San Francisco: L.M. McKenney & Co., Publishers, 1880); R. L. Polk & Co., Oregon Washington and Idaho Gazetteer and Business Directory 1884-5 (Chicago: R.L. Polk & Co. and A.C. Danser, 1884); R. L. Polk & Co., Oregon, Washington and Idaho Gazetteer and Business Directory 1886-7 (Portland, OR: R L Polk & Co., 1886); Thompson & Company, Historical and Descriptive Review of the Industries of Seattle, Wash. T'y (Seattle: Lowman & Hanford Stationary and Printing Company, 1887), 42; Edmond S. Meany, Origin of Washington Geographic Names (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1923).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Cities & Towns | Government & Politics | Infrastructure |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Cedar Street in Auburn, post office on left, 1900s
Postcard


Auburn's first store, ca. 1890
Courtesy Clarence Bagley, History of King County


Main Street, Auburn, ca. 1900
Courtesy Clarence Bagley, History of King County


Lieutenant and Mrs. William Slaughter, ca. 1854
Courtesy Pollard, A History of the State of Washington


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org