Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6835 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Mercer's Island is named in 1860.

HistoryLink.org Essay 3723 : Printer-Friendly Format

In 1860, a government land survey names Mercer’s Island for the first time. Later shortened to Mercer Island, the island is named for Thomas Mercer (1813-1898), an early pioneer who suggested the names of Lake Washington and Lake Union.

Mercer’s Picnic

Thomas Mercer came from Princeton, Illinois, arriving in Seattle in 1852, where he filed a donation claim east of Lake Union, then called "tenas Chuck" (Chinook for "little waters"). Mercer Street became the boundary between his claim and that of David Denny.

On July 4, 1854, a picnic was held on his property, and Mercer proposed that tenas Chuck be named Lake Union, and the larger lake to the east (hyas Chuck, or “large water”) be named Lake Washington. Someone at the picnic mentioned that the large island in the south end of Lake Washington be named Mercer’s Island, as Mercer was known to visit it quite often.

In 1860, a federal land survey was made, wherein the island was officially named Mercer’s Island. Later this was shortened to Mercer Island.

He Walks on Water?

Mercer was friendly with local Indians, and often hired one of them to row him over to the island in the morning, and then row him back in the evening. Mercer would spend his day exploring and enjoying the sylvan setting, oftentimes picking berries.

On one occasion, Mercer was not on shore when his canoe ride returned to pick him up. An Indian legend had it that the island sank into the lake each night, only to rise again in the morning. The canoe owner, not wishing to be present for that, paddled back alone.

In the morning, the Indian returned and there was Thomas Mercer standing on shore. The paddler saw that Mercer’s clothes were dry, and assumed that Mercer had miraculously survived the sinking of the island. From this point forward, there were some Native Americans who believed that Mercer had supernatural powers.

Sources:
Clarence Bagley, History of Seattle (Chicago: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1916), p. 84; Judy Gellatly, Mercer Island Heritage (Mercer Island: Mercer Island Historical Society, 1989), pp. 6-7.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Special Suite: Washington Islands |

Related Topics: Pioneers | Cities & Towns |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
King County Landmarks & Heritage Commission
Hotel/Motel Tax Fund


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org