Fred Hutchinson James Delmage Ross Dixy Lee Ray George W. Bush Hazel Wolf Henry M Jackson Warren G. Magnuson Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6816 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Jolly Roger restaurant burns in arson fire on October 19, 1989.

HistoryLink.org Essay 3481 : Printer-Friendly Format

On October 19, 1989, the Jolly Roger restaurant, located at 8721 Lake City Way (formerly Bothell Way) burns in an arson fire. Built in 1929, the building in its early years was home to a gambling den, illegal bar, and bordello. Originally named the China Castle, it was renamed the Jolly Roger in the 1930s, and became a popular dancehall and restaurant. It was designated a Seattle Historic Landmark in 1979.

The fire was somewhat suspicious, but police had neither motive nor suspects. Investigators were not able to determine how the arsonist got inside past a burglar alarm, with no signs of forced entry.

At the time, the building was owned by Denchai Sae-Eal, who was entangled in legal and financial red tape with the previous owner, Yeong Huei Wen. Wen was in the building removing his possessions the day before the fire.

The fire began after midnight in the cluttered basement, but didn't spread upstairs until after 6 a.m. When firefighters arrived, an Asian man directed them to the basement. He seemed so sure of where the fire began that they assumed he was an employee. After the fire was extinguished, the man could not be found. The owners stated that he was not an employee.

Not Your Ordinary Roadhouse

The building was built in 1929 as the China Castle. From the outside it was just another roadhouse, but within lay a den of iniquity with illegal booze, gambling, and prostitution readily available. The tower on top of the structure was used to spot police cars, which could be seen approaching from miles away. In case of a police raid, tunnels were dug beneath the structure, which ran to adjacent lots.

One year after the fire, preservation activists sought to have the structure rebuilt. Before their efforts got off the ground, the building was hastily demolished on January 11, 1991, obviating its appeal.

Sources:
"Speakeasy? Jolly Roger's Shady Past Still A Mystery," The North Seattle Press, January 9, 1991, p. 1; "Burning Questions Persist," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, November 30, 1990, pp. B-1, B-5; "Wrecker Flattens Jolly Roger's Charred Remnant," The Seattle Times, January 12, 1992, p. B-1.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Buildings | Vanished |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Jolly Roger menu, ca. 1940
Courtesy UW Special Collections (MEN036)


Architect's rendering of the Jolly Roger Tavern, 1933
Drawing by Gerald Field


The Jolly Roger after the fire, 1989
Courtesy North Seattle Press


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org