William O. Douglas Betty Bowen Carl Maxey Chief Joseph Bertha Landes Buffalo Soldier Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6815 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Cyberpedia Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

West, Thomas L., Architect (Knapp & West)

HistoryLink.org Essay 3371 : Printer-Friendly Format

Little has been recorded about the architectural firm of Knapp & West, whose principals, Thomas L. West and Jacob Knapp, were both Seattle residents.

Lost in History: A Successful Architect

Seattle city directories list the partnership from 1905 through 1909. Beyond that, no mention of either can be found with the exception of a reference to Thomas L. West in partnership with Charles C. Dose and Claude A. Reinoehl, who together published Architecture of Dose, West & Reinoehl in 1908. Dose, the son of well-known real-estate developer, is known for having designed numerous Craftsman style houses.

It is probable Thomas L. West was the creative force in the firm of Knapp & West. At the time of their partnership a magazine known as The Coast covered the cultural, natural, and built environments of the Pacific Northwest in the early part of the twentieth century. West, introduced as "one of the most successful architects of the Northwest," contributed monthly from February 1906 through May 1907 through a series titled "Architecture of the Pacific Northwest."

Who Was Jacob Knapp?

The articles feature numerous designs from the firm of Knapp & West accompanied by photographs and plans of many of the firm's designs. The articles provide a unique insight into the prevailing tastes in residential architecture of the Northwest in that period and the only known record of the work of the firm.

Interestingly, Jacob Knapp was not mentioned in any of the articles, his name appearing only on the photographs. Further, before 1905 Knapp was listed only as a draftsman for the Fred L. Fehrens Company while West was already established as an architect at that time.

After 1909, West was listed alone in the city directories, Knapp's name no longer appearing anywhere in subsequent directories. Further, advertising by West in 1909 and 1910 feature photographs of houses with Knapp's name crudely scratched off.

A Spectacular Home

The most spectacular design of the firm was the Alexander Pantages House. A few of the designs produced by the firm still exist, but none that meet the highly eclectic and ornate nature of the Pantages House. Although similarity in design elements exists between the house and others designed by the firm, the Pantages house is particularly ostentatious. It would seem that there is more to the story, particularly given the nature of the business of the man who had it built. Alexander Pantages (1876-1936) was a theatrical entrepreneur with a great impact on the development of popular stage entertainments in the Puget Sound region in the early twentieth century.

Preliminary research reveals that some Knapp & West houses are extant. Through the names of the house owners in the articles, a search into period directories reveal addresses in some cases. As of this writing (July 2001), only two of the houses were positively identified: 1514 35th Avenue (Edith E. Wundekind, The Coast May, 1907) and 1625 13th Avenue (Mr. Max Ragley, The Coast, January 1907).

Sources:
The Coast, January 1907; May 1907


< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Biographies |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
Historic Seattle


Thomas West's column in The Coast
Courtesy The Coast, April 1906


Alexander Pantages home (Thomas West, 1907), 803 E Denny Way, March 2001
Photo by Phillip S. Esser


Pantages home bracket detail (Thomas West, 1907), March 2001
Photo by Phillip S. Esser


Alexander Pantages home (Thomas West, 1907), 803 E Denny Way, ca. 1938
Courtesy Puget Sound Regional Archives


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org