Captain George Vancouver Julia Butler Hansen Carlos Bulosan Ernestine Anderson Kurt Cobain Bill Gates & Paul Allen Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6854 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

City of Seattle annexes the Town of West Seattle on July 24, 1907.

HistoryLink.org Essay 3317 : Printer-Friendly Format

On July 24, 1907, the City of Seattle annexes the City of West Seattle. The Seattle City Council passes ordinance 16558 that increases the area of the Seattle by nearly one-third, adding 16.34 square miles. The town of West Seattle incorporated in April 1902 and grew by its own annexations in 1904 and in 1907.

This was by far the second largest annexation to the City of Seattle. Seattle annexed a slightly larger area (16.94 sq. miles) in 1891 that included Magnolia Bluff to Lake Union to Green Lake.

West Seattle boundaries were: on the south by SW Roxbury Street, east by 1st Avenue S and north and west by Elliott Bay and Puget Sound. In October 1907 the Seattle City Council renamed the streets of West Seattle.

Sources:
Myra L. Phelps and Leslie Blanchard, Public Works in Seattle: A Narrative History. The Engineering Department 1875 - 1975 (Seattle, Seattle Engineering Department, 1978), 218, 222, 224, 232.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Seattle Neighborhoods | Cities & Towns |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The SCHOONER Project:
The Hon. Jan Drago
Seattle City Council
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org