Captain George Vancouver Julia Butler Hansen Carlos Bulosan Ernestine Anderson Kurt Cobain Bill Gates & Paul Allen Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6852 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Landmark Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Seattle Landmarks: Charles R. Bussell Residence (1892)

HistoryLink.org Essay 3233 : Printer-Friendly Format

Address: 1630 36th Avenue, Seattle. Real Estate developer George S. List built a 13-room Victorian residence in the Madrona neighborhood, with a view of Lake Washington and the Cascades. The main entrance was constructed to face the lake, away from the street. Visitors walked through a wrought-iron gate around to the front of the house. The design was by Thomas G. Bird. When it was built, 36th Avenue was called Lincoln Avenue and later Aldine Street.

In 1900, Charles Bussell (1864-1938) and his wife E.V. "Nina" Bussell (d. 1914) purchased the house. Bussell was a Seattle businessman (Seattle Soap Co.) who acquired large tracts of tideflats -- wetlands that were under water at high tide. His investment was regarded as folly by some until 1906 when he sold much of the property to railroads for $1.5 million. Bussell lived in "the castle" (Kreisman) until 1928.

The home featured landscaped lawns, scalloped shingle siding, a circular tower, and woodwork of scrolled brackets. The interior was equally well appointed with paneling, wainscoting, stained and leaded glass, and tiled fireplaces.

In 1928, the new owners were inspired by the Mediterranean look of Rudolph Valentino films and opted for a Spanish hacienda look. They faced the exterior with stucco, but did not change the interior.

In 1979, the Seattle City Council named the house a Seattle Landmark because of its distinctive architectural style and its association with an important Seattle resident. In 1994, new owners removed the stucco for a return to the wooden exterior,

Sources:
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, Landmarks Preservation Board, 700 Third Avenue, 4th Floor, Seattle, Washington; Carol M. Eastman, "Seattle Soap," typescript, 1978, Bussell Residence File, Seattle Department of Neighborhoods; Lawrence Kreisman, Made to Last: Historic Preservation in Seattle and King County, (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1999), 62.


< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Seattle Neighborhoods | Landmarks |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The SCHOONER Project:
The Hon. Jan Drago
Seattle City Council
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods


Charles Bussell House, 2001
Photo by David Wilma


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org