< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Seattle Landmarks: Firehouse No. 23 (1909)
HistoryLink.org Essay 3230
: Printer-Friendly Format
Address: 722 18th Avenue, Seattle. The city of Seattle built Firehouse No. 23 to base Engine Company No. 23 (steam), Hose Company No. 23, and Ladder Company No. 3, all horse-drawn, as well as the fire battalion headquarters. The "T" design by the firm of Everett and Baker used the body of the T as the barn for the horses and hayloft. The cross portion contained three equipment bays downstairs and a dormitory and offices upstairs. There was a five-story hose tower as well.
The building was completed in 1909 and follows no particular architectural style. In 1918, the ladder company was motorized and in 1922, the horses of the engine company were retired. The battalion covered an area from the ship canal to the Rainier Valley. Before the days of radio dispatching, a light signal was installed at the intersection of Rainier Avenue S and S Orcas Street. When the battalion responded to alarms in the Rainier Valley, the signal told the crews to proceed to the call.
In the early 1970s, the city converted the structure to the Cherry Hill Neighborhood Center, continuing the tradition of service to the community. The interior was extensively remodeled into offices and a dance studio. Much of the original exterior has also been changed. The equipment bays were sealed over with a wood window wall to resemble the original double doors. The Central Area Motivation Program (CAMP) was based there.
On December 13, 1976, the Seattle City Council designated the firehouse a Seattle Landmark because of its significance to the heritage of the community, its distinctive architectural style, and its familiarity as a visual feature in the neighborhood. Firehouse No. 23 is also on the National Register of Historic Places.
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, Landmarks Preservation Board, 700 Third Avenue, 4th Floor, Seattle, Washington;
Lawrence Kreisman, Made to Last: Historic Preservation in Seattle and King County, (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1999), 59.
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Seattle Neighborhoods |
Government & Politics |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You