Captain George Vancouver Julia Butler Hansen Carlos Bulosan Ernestine Anderson Kurt Cobain Bill Gates & Paul Allen Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6809 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Landmark Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Seattle Landmarks: Black Manufacturing Co. (1914)

HistoryLink.org Essay 3221 : Printer-Friendly Format

Address: 1130 Rainier Avenue S, Seattle. In 1914, George G. Black wanted a new home for the manufacture of his Black Bear brand of overalls. He was concerned for the health and welfare of his employees and sought a departure from the sweatshop conditions of the garment industry of the time. He commissioned Andrew Willatzen (Willatsen) (1876-1974) to design a building.

Willatzen apprenticed in the Oak Park, Illinois, studio of architect Frank Lloyd Wright (1869-1959). After moving to Seattle, Willatzen had done primarily residential work and the Black commission was only his second industrial job. Willatzen supplied a daylight design with more than 15,000 square feet of windows, a shed roof skylight, direct access for trucks, an overhead sprinkler system, and mill construction. Up to 550 employees could work there and enjoy amenities such as a cafeteria which sold food at cost and a roof garden.

The Black family operated the garment business until 1981. The building, especially the windows, suffered for several years from vandals, but it remained structurally sound. In 1984, it was sold for office and manufacturing space and rehabilitation was guided by Anderson, Koch, and Duaarte.

On September 8, 1987, the Seattle City Council designated the building a Seattle Landmark because of its association with the heritage of the community and its distinctive architectural style.

Sources:
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, Landmarks Preservation Board, 700 Third Avenue, 4th Floor, Seattle, Washington; Lawrence Kreisman, Made to Last: Historic Preservation in Seattle and King County, (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1999), 62.


< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Seattle Neighborhoods | Landmarks | Buildings | Business |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The SCHOONER Project:
The Hon. Jan Drago
Seattle City Council
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods


Black Manufacturing Co., 1130 Rainier Avenue S, Seattle, 2001
Photo by David Wilma


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org