Fred Hutchinson James Delmage Ross Dixy Lee Ray George W. Bush Hazel Wolf Henry M Jackson Warren G. Magnuson Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6852 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Landmark Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Seattle Landmarks: Brace/Moriarty House (1904)

HistoryLink.org Essay 3212 : Printer-Friendly Format

Address: 170 Prospect Street, Seattle. Lumberman John Stuart Brace (1861-1918) used his own company, Brace and Hergert Mill, to construct a palatial home on the south slope of Queen Anne Hill in 1904. The firm of Kerr and Rogers designed the two-and-a-half story home in the mission style, one of the first of that type in Seattle. Seven arched openings for a recessed porch reflect the influence of architect Louis H. Sullivan (1856-1924).

John Brace started in the lumber business in Spokane in 1878, and he moved to Seattle in 1888. He served as a Seattle alderman from 1892 to 1894 and as president of the Lake Washington Ship Canal Association. One of his companies did much of the work on the Lake Washington Ship Canal. During a time when his business was suffering, Brace rented the house to the French government as a consulate.

Because of its prominent location, its unique style, and its contribution to the character of the neighborhood, the Brace House was designated a Seattle Landmark by the city council on December 22, 1980.

Sources:
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, Landmarks Preservation Board, 700 Third Avenue, 4th Floor, Seattle, Washington; Lawrence Kreisman, Made to Last: Historic Preservation in Seattle and King County, (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1999), 55.


< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Seattle Neighborhoods | Landmarks |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The SCHOONER Project:
The Hon. Jan Drago
Seattle City Council
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods


Brace/Moriarty House, Queen Anne Hill, Seattle, 2001
Photo by David Wilma


Interior of Brace/Moriarty home (Kerr & Rogers, 1904), Seattle, ca. 1913
Courtesy John and Marta Brace


Interior of Brace/Moriarty home (Kerr & Rogers, 1904), Seattle, ca. 1913
Courtesy John and Marta Brace


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org