< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Seattle Landmarks: 14th Avenue W Residences (1890-1910)
HistoryLink.org Essay 3202
: Printer-Friendly Format
Address: 2000-2016 14th Avenue W, Seattle. At the end of the nineteenth century, Smith's Cove extended north along 15th Avenue W. Slavic and Finnish immigrants established a community at the foot of Queen Anne Hill along the shore. They built frame houses to take advantage of the breezes and the views.
The Gilman House, 2016 14th Avenue W, was built in 1891 and is one of the few surviving examples of the Queen Anne architecture that gave the area its name. Other houses in the group are in the Victorian style and were typical middle-class and working-class homes of the era.
The houses were declared a Seattle Landmark on October 23, 1978.
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, Landmarks Preservation Board, 700 Third Avenue, 4th Floor, Seattle, Washington;
Lawrence Kreisman, Made to Last: Historic Preservation in Seattle and King County (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1999), 55.
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Seattle Neighborhoods |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You