Captain George Vancouver Julia Butler Hansen Carlos Bulosan Ernestine Anderson Kurt Cobain Bill Gates & Paul Allen Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6852 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Landmark Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Seattle Landmarks: Chelsea Apartments (1907)

HistoryLink.org Essay 3199 : Printer-Friendly Format

Address: 620 W Olympic Place, Seattle. With the completion of the street car line to Queen Anne Hill, the neighborhood became a popular residential area. Charles Russell Collins was general manager of the Seattle Gas and Electric Co., chairman of the board for the YMCA, and treasurer for the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition. He commissioned a family hotel and apartment building near the entrance to Kinnear Park. The architect was Harlan Thomas (1870-1953).

Architect Harlan Thomas (Queen Anne Public Library, Sorrento Hotel, Corner Market) was the dean of the School of Architecture at the University of Washington, 1926-1940. The Chelsea Apartments building followed the English-Renaissance style and represented the life style of the upper middle class of the time. One hundred bedrooms in 2-, 3-, 4-, and 5-room suites each had a bathroom. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported in the Realty Section in 1907, "The general arrangement is adaptable to musicals, receptions and other social functions. The hardwood oak floors provide a good dancing surface." Meals were advertised as "of the best, of wide variety, under the direction of an excellent chef" (Seattle Post-Intelligencer). On the roof was a garden with views of Puget Sound, a pergola, palm trees, and arbors.

In 1913, a Montessori kindergarten for residents was opened in the building. The Chelsea served as a hotel until 1917 when all the units became apartments.

In 1978, Stephen R. Yarnall purchased the building for $475,000 and planned to spend $600,000 renovating it to 55 apartments. The building was made a Seattle Landmark on October 23, 1978.

Sources:
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, Landmarks Preservation Board, 700 Third Avenue, 4th Floor, Seattle, Washington; Lawrence Kreisman, Made to Last: Historic Preservation in Seattle and King County, (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1999), 55.


< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Landmarks | Buildings | Seattle Neighborhoods |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
The SCHOONER Project:
The Hon. Jan Drago
Seattle City Council
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods


Chelsea Apartments, Queen Anne Hill, Seattle, 2001
Photo by David Wilma


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org