Captain George Vancouver Julia Butler Hansen Carlos Bulosan Ernestine Anderson Kurt Cobain Bill Gates & Paul Allen Home
Search Encyclopedia
Advanced Search
Sponsor of Week Featured EssayBooksDonate
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6962 essays now available      
Donation system not supported by Safari     Donate Subscribe


Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search


Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Seattle Steel Co. begins manufacturing steel products on May 4, 1905. Essay 3175 : Printer-Friendly Format

On May 4, 1905, Seattle Steel Co. begins manufacturing steel products in Humphrey (later Youngstown and West Seattle). The founder is William Pigott (1860-1929), who also founded Pacific Car and Foundry Co. (PACCAR). The mill employs 140 men with a monthly payroll of $10,000.

William Pigott came to Seattle from Ohio, New York, and Colorado in 1896. He ran several businesses selling and fabricating steel products for logging camps and logging railroads. With his partner Judge Elliott M. Wilson (d. 1927), Pigott incorporated Seattle Steel Co. in 1903. They constructed eight frame buildings on 55 acres of tideflats purchased from the Northern Pacific Railroad. The buildings housed a heating room, a scrap room, a rolling mill, and offices. Scrap steel was the principal feed stock. The Seattle Sunday Times hailed the plant as "Seattle's Little Pittsburgh." This mill became the first steel mill in the United States to offer workers an eight-hour day.

In 1905, Pigott incorporated Seattle Car Manufacturing Co. on the same property. This company moved to Renton in 1908 and was renamed Pacific Car and Foundry Co. in 1917.

In 1913, Seattle Steel merged with a San Francisco firm and became Pacific Coast Steel. The business grew to more than 500 employees in 1927. In 1930, Bethlehem Steel Co. purchased the mill, and operated it until 1985, when it was purchased by Carl E. Meitzen and Seattle Steel Co.

Alex Groner, PACCAR: The Pursuit of Quality (Bellevue: Documentary Book Publishing Co., 1981), 1-85.

Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Seattle Neighborhoods | Business | Industry | Technology |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License

Major Support for Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You

This essay made possible by:
The SCHOONER Project:
The Hon. Jan Drago
Seattle City Council
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods

Pacific Coast Steel Co., Youngstown (West Seattle), 1914
Photo by Asahel Curtis, Courtesy MOHAI (Neg. 28818)

Rolling mill, Pacific Coast Steel Co., Youngstown (West Seattle), 1914
Photo by Asahel Curtis, Courtesy MOHAI (Neg. No. 28819)

Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM) is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email