< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Seattle Landmarks: Firehouse No. 33 (1914)
HistoryLink.org Essay 3165
: Printer-Friendly Format
Address: 10235 62nd Avenue South, Seattle. Old Firehouse #33 was built in 1914 to accomodate a single, horse-drawn fire engine of the Seattle Fire Department. It was designed in a modified Tudor style to fit architecturally into the Lakeridge residential neighborhood near Rainier Beach.
The hose tower was sunk into the ground rather than built above the roof line. The floor of the single equipment bay was sloped to reduce the starting jolt for the horses responding to a fire alarm.
In 1924, the horses left firehouse and it was home to a motorized engine company. The city sold the building in 1973 and it became a private residence. In 1976, the structure was designated a landmark.
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, Landmarks Preservation Board, 700 3rd Avenue, 4th Floor, Seattle, Washington.
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Seattle Neighborhoods |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You