Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6772 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Seattle's Wallingford Center, a retail adaptation of the old Interlake Public School, opens in 1983.

HistoryLink.org Essay 3131 : Printer-Friendly Format

In 1983, the Wallingford Center, a retail center with upstairs apartments, opens. Located in the business district of Seattle's Wallingford neighborhood at the corner of Wallingford Avenue N and N 45th Street, the Wallingford Center building is adapted from the Interlake Public School (1904) designed by architect James Stephen. As a work of architecture, the retail center retains many features of the elegant old school. It offers restaurants, a bookstore, and shops purveying clothing, furniture and kitchen equipage, gifts, eye-glasses, toys, crafts, photographs, and other merchandise.

The building features a pedimented main entrance with an Ionic columned portico and an entablature bearing the name of the school. In the adaptation, maple floors, fluted wood columns, and corridor archways have been preserved on the main floor. Alaskan marble salvaged from the restrooms was used to construct a new entrance stairway. Photographs of the old elementary school and its pupils grace the basement level.

Lorig Associates was the developer. They were granted a 99-year lease (by the Seattle School District) to preside over the property. The architectural firm Tonkin/Greissinger designed the apartments and two floors of retail space.

Outside, Ron Petty's 1984 bronze and aluminum pylon, Animal Storm, with squirrels, Canada geese, raccoons, bats, fish, dogs, and other animals climbing up it, celebrates the neighborhood's wildlife.

Sources:
Lawrence Kreisman, Made To Last: Historic Preservation in Seattle and King County (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1999), 161-162; Walt Crowley with Paul Dorpat (Photography Editor), National Trust Guide: Seattle (New York: John Wiley & Son, Inc., 1998), 190.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Buildings | Seattle Neighborhoods | Landmarks | Business |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Interlake School, Wallingford Avenue N and N 45th Street, ca. 1904
Courtesy UW Special Collections, (Neg. Asahel Curtis 05413)


Wallingford Center at the old Interlake School entrance, March 2001
Photo by Priscilla Long


Detail of Ronald Petty's Animal Storm at Wallingford Center, March 2001
Photo by Priscilla Long


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org