< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Green Lake cleanup and redesign begins in 1936.
HistoryLink.org Essay 3021
: Printer-Friendly Format
In the winter of 1936, a major, WPA-funded clean-up of Seattle's Green Lake is undertaken. For decades, the lake has been subject to algae bloom and outbreaks of green scum and foul odor, and swimmers have gotten swimmer's itch. The massive project includes dredging the lake, building an island (Swan Island, or Duck Island) as a wildlife sanctuary, and building a water-aerating fountain in the middle of the lake. The fountain is never built, but other parts of the project are carried out.
1930s Plan Envisioned Clear Water, an Island, and a Fountain
Attempts to solve the problems of algae bloom and green scum at Green Lake have usually involved chemical solutions and dredging of bottom
sediment, yet more imaginative visions have also affected Green Lake's
history. Perhaps no effort was as creative and extensive as that
attempted during the Great Depression, when the city used federal funds in
a large-scale attempt to purify the water of Green Lake once and for all.
By 1935, Green Lake was turning into a malignant disease-breeding menace
to health, according to the editor of the Green Lake Reporter. In
response, Seattle sanitation engineer, E. French Chase, wrote a proposal
to improve Green Lake Park and submitted it to the Works Progress
Administration (WPA). Created under Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal, the WPA pumped money into public works projects, creating jobs for millions of workers. The city of Seattle received $2.2 million of WPA funding to enhance its parks system, with the Green Lake proposal receiving $234,000.
The plan included dredging nearly five million cubic yards of lake bottom
sludge, providing additional inflow water to the lake (thus improving lake
drainage), and purifying the water with various chemicals. In addition,
the proposal called for construction of an island in the middle of the
lake to serve as a wildlife sanctuary. The city provided $50,000 in
matching funds for the project, as well as water and electrical power for
the dredging operation.
Dredge That Sludge
The ambitious project began in the winter of 1936. Workers constructed a
portable dredge with a 12-inch pipe line, through which sludge was pumped
into existing sewer lines, emptying into Puget Sound off Fort Lawton eight
miles away. As work proceeded, additional plans called for cleaning and
grading portions of the shoreline.
Planners envisioned an enormous
fountain in the middle of the lake, designed to aerate the water for
purification as well as to attract tourists to the Green Lake district. In
March 1936, the Westinghouse and General Electric companies drew up
architectural plans for the fountain, which would require matching funds
of $60,000 to $100,000 from the city council.
Suddenly, an explosion on the dredge on May 8, 1936, halted the work. The accident threw 50 men out of work while repairs were made and the
city council argued over funding. After three months, work resumed, only
to stop again in February 1937, as strikers on other city projects
picketed the Green Lake crew. Finally, cost overruns and financial
mismanagement by Engineer Chase killed the project in September 1937, with
only one-quarter of the dredging completed. Plans for the fountain were
scrapped as the fiscal mood of the city council turned sour.
To Build an Island
Although the dredging operation failed to meet its goal, other aspects of
the project succeeded. Works Progress Administration crews constructed a temporary trestle off the lake's northwest shore to the edge of a cofferdam and
pilings. Workers hauled mud along the trestle in countless wheelbarrow
loads, creating an island rising some ten feet above the water. Swan
Island was born.
Swan Island has proved a partial success as a wildlife sanctuary. In
1937, the Victoria, B.C. Parks Department donated a pair of one-year-old
Signet swans in hopes of propagating a permanent population at the new
sanctuary. This attempt failed, as did numerous other swan donations made
as recently as the late 1970s. For their nesting habitat, swans require
shallow waters producing reeds and grasses. Swan Island's steep drop-off
prevented such growth; thus, the birds had to nest in vegetation near the
shore, exposing themselves and their young to dangers from humans and
animals. The Signets did not survive.
Nevertheless, Swan Island has served as habitat for other animals,
including year-round inhabitants and migratory visitors. In 1956, the
Washington State Game Commission officially designated Swan Island as an
animal sanctuary and renamed it the Waldo J. Dahl Game Reserve (after a
bird enthusiast who served as superintendent of the Department of Parks
and Recreation). Today, the island's more popular name, Duck Island,
attests to those currently inhabiting the place. The island remains
off-limits to human visitors.
In addition to the island, the Depression-era efforts at Green Lake had
other beneficial effects. WPA funds allowed construction of a wading pool
at the lake's north end at the site of the former Lichton Springs intake.
Work crews also completed the cleaning and grading of the shoreline.
Finally, spring water flowing off Phinney Ridge at the lake's southwest
end was diverted back into the lake, which helped to purify the water, and a powdered copper sulfate treatment of the lake water provided short-term relief from the algae problem.
Following the partial sludge removal and the chemical treatment, Engineer
Chase pronounced Green Lake waters 100 percent free of algae as early as
August 1936. But, the algae blooms
returned. By the early 1940s, so did the familiar swimmer's itch, foul
odors, and beach closures.
Today the algae battle continues between a 10,000-year-old aging lake
attempting to decay into bog and meadowland and a city whose population longs to
hold onto its beauty and recreational offerings. Recent treatment with
alum, a more benign chemical than Engineer Chase's copper sulfate, shows
signs of a temporary solution. A more permanent answer awaits the
creativity of future planners and devotees of Green Lake.
Green Lake Reporter, September 20, 1935; Ibid.,, December 6, 1935; Ibid., March 20, 1936; Ibid., August 7, 1936; Ibid., September 24, 1937; Ibid., October 8, 1937; Ibid., December 3, 1937;
Board of Park Commissioners, Annual Report (Seattle: Board of Park Commissioners, 1935, 1936, 1937); Don Sherwood, "Green Lake," in "Interpretive Essays of the Histories of Seattle's Parks and Playfields," Handwritten bound manuscript dated 1977, Seattle Room, Seattle Public Library.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Seattle Neighborhoods |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You