Captain George Vancouver Julia Butler Hansen Carlos Bulosan Ernestine Anderson Kurt Cobain Bill Gates & Paul Allen Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6771 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Gentlemen meet to organize Seattle's Rainier Club on February 23, 1888.

HistoryLink.org Essay 2961 : Printer-Friendly Format

On February 23, 1888, six Seattle civic leaders meet to organize an exclusive private gentleman's club, The Rainier Club. Formally incorporated on July 25, 1888, it becomes Seattle's preeminent private club, with first quarters in the James McNaught mansion on 4th Avenue in downtown Seattle.

Attendees at the first meeting were J. R. McDonald, president of the Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern Railroad; John Leary, a prominent real estate developer and former Seattle mayor; Norman Kelly; R. C. Washburn, editor of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer; Bailey Gatzert, proprietor of Schwabacher's and former mayor; A. B. Stewart; and James McNaught, whose 4th Avenue mansion became the first clubhouse. Founding members also included lawyer Eugene Carr, Judge Thomas Burke, and William Allison Peters.

Gentlemen Only

In subsequent meetings, membership dues were set at $100, and bylaws were written, including that "No member shall invite ladies to the Club House without first obtaining permission from the trustees."

In 1904, the Rainier Club moved to a building on 820 4th Avenue in downtown Seattle designed by architect Kirtland Cutter (1860-1939), with a 1929 addition by architect Carl Gould. In its lavishly appointed historic building, the now non-discriminatory club remains (in 2001) a vibrant, thriving institution whose membership comprises civic leaders of both sexes and all races.

Networking, Victorian Style

A history of the club describes its early social significance as follows:

"...[I]t offered a place away from the office and public rooms of restaurants and hotels where political and business leaders could break fast or lunch, play cards (whist was the rage at the time) or billiards, and discuss new ideas, opportunities, or collaborations.

"In those Victorian times and the Edwardian period which would follow, it was customary for men and women to take much of their society apart from the opposite sex. In the evenings, the Rainier Club served as a private library and gaming room to which the most prominent men of Seattle could withdraw after dinner for cigars, brandy and conversation. This privilege, and the decorum it demands, would be jealously guarded throughout the Club's history" (Crowley, 23).

Sources:
Walt Crowley, The Rainier Club, 1888-1988 (Seattle: The Rainier Club, 1988), 15-18, 23.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Organizations | Firsts | Society |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




James McNaught mansion, Seattle, 1881
Photo by Boyd & Braas, Courtesy UW Special Collections (Neg. No. A. Curtis 65959)


Rainier Club (Kirtland Cutter, 1904), Seattle
Courtesy MOHAI


Rainier Club (Kirtland Cutter, 1904), Seattle, 1920s
Postcard


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org