Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6857 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

City Council appoints George W. Hall as mayor of City of Seattle on December 9, 1891.

HistoryLink.org Essay 2792 : Printer-Friendly Format

On December 9, 1891, the City Council appoints George W. Hall -- the president of the council -- as mayor of the City of Seattle. Hall fills the unexpired term of Mayor Harry White, who resigned under pressure.

Hall was a founder of the Hall and Paulson Furniture Company, which at its peak, in 1889, employed 75 workers in a factory on 1st Avenue S in Seattle. The company also operated a hardwood sawmill on the White River, to provide raw material for the factory. Hall and Paulson produced much of the furniture bought by residents of the Puget Sound region in the 1870s and 1880s. Its products also were shipped to markets in Oregon and California.

It's not clear when Hall arrived in Seattle, but by 1870 he was established enough to join seven other prominent citizens in organizing the city's first Odd Fellows lodge. In 1872, he married Mary Virginia Bell, a daughter of William Nathaniel Bell, one of the founders of Seattle. Bell and his wife Sarah Ann and their four children -- including four-year-old Virginia -- arrived with the Denny party on the schooner Exact in 1851.

Hall and a business partner opened a small furniture store in 1874, with stock ordered from manufacturers in San Francisco. The high costs of shipping furniture from San Francisco to Seattle, coupled with the abundant supplies of raw materials available in what were still heavily timbered areas around the young town, convinced Hall to begin making his own furniture. Within a year, he and a new partner -- Paul Paulson -- had added a workshop next to the store. By 1877, they were supplying both local and outside markets with tables, chests, bedsteads, and other items.

The original store and workshop were replaced by a larger showroom and factory in 1882. Hall retired as president and manager of the company in 1888. The next year, the complex was destroyed, along with most of the rest of downtown Seattle, in what became known as the Great Fire. The company lost most of its assets, including its stock and manufacturing equipment. About all that was left was mud flats covered with fourteen feet of water, commented Clarence B. Bagley, in his 1916 history of Seattle (Vol. 2, p. 713). The factory was never rebuilt. Hall subsequently went into the real estate business.

Hall served three consecutive one-year terms on the town council beginning in 1875. He was elected president of the council in 1890, under a revised city charter that had greatly expanded the membership and functions of the council. His fellow councilmen appointed him to replace Harry White as mayor when White, under criticism for his handling of municipal affairs, was forced to resign on November 30, 1891.

Hall completed the remaining four months of White's term. During that time, he tried to persuade the council to buy the former University of Washington campus and buildings, located in what is now Seattle's central business district, for the construction of a new city hall. The existing city hall, opened just one year earlier in a building previously used as the county courthouse, had already become overcrowded. Despite general agreement that the building was inadequate for an increasingly complex municipal government, Seattle did not get a new city hall until 1909.

Sources:
Seattle City Clerk, "Mayors of the City of Seattle," (www.ci.seattle.wa.us/seattle/leg/clerk/mayors.htm); Clarence B. Bagley, History of Seattle From the Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Vols. 1-2 (Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1916).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Government & Politics | Biographies | Business |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Mayor George W. Hall, 1892
Courtesy Seattle Municipal Archives (Image No. 12269)


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org