< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
University of Washington moves from downtown Seattle to present University District campus in 1895.
HistoryLink.org Essay 278
: Printer-Friendly Format
In 1895, the University of Washington moves from a downtown Seattle site to its current site along the shores of Lake Washington and Lake Union.
The cornerstone of the "University Building" (in 1910 renamed Denny Hall) on the new campus was laid on July 4, 1894. Students kept studying at the downtown campus during the 1894-1895 term and moved to the new "Interlaken Campus" in 1895. Classes began there on September 4, 1895.
Paul Dorpat, Seattle Now & Then Vol. 1 (Seattle: Tartu Publications, 1984), Stories No. 36 and 37; Richard C. Berner, Seattle 1900-1920: From Boomtown, Urban Turbulence, to Restoration (Seattle: Charles Press, 1991), 82; Charles M. Gates, The First Century at the University of Washington, 1861-1951 (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1961), 55.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Seattle Neighborhoods |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You