< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Seattle Beginnings: Columbia City Post Office opens on December 16, 1891.
HistoryLink.org Essay 2606
: Printer-Friendly Format
On December 16, 1891, Columbia City Post Office opens. Rebecca E. Comfort is the first postmaster. The post office name changes to Columbia on July 23, 1902. Columbia City is located four miles south of the business district of Seattle within the future Seattle city limits on the west shore of Lake Washington.
On December 5, 1904, this post office closed.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 637-638, 668.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Cities & Towns |
Seattle Neighborhoods |
Government & Politics |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You