William O. Douglas Betty Bowen Carl Maxey Chief Joseph Bertha Landes Buffalo Soldier Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6857 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Landmark Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

King County Landmarks: Prescott-Harshman House (1904), Fall City

HistoryLink.org Essay 2379 : Printer-Friendly Format

Address: 33429 Redmond-Fall City Road, Fall City. The Prescott-Harshman house was built in 1904 on a prominent corner lot facing the main road through Fall City. Its elegant porch, tall, narrow windows, and hipped roof reflect the influence of the Queen Anne style. Julia and Newton Harshman, who purchased the house in 1912 from the Prescotts, played an important role in expanding telephone service in the rural community.

By 1905 residents in Fall City and Tolt (now Carnation) banded together to connect telephone lines from their stores to the Northern Pacific Depot and establish a fledgling company. The Harshmans provided the first $300 in financial backing for the project and later, in 1912, moved the Fall City Switchboard to their newly purchased home. Julia operated the switchboard until her death. Her daughter then ran the board until 1951 when a dial system eliminated the need for a switchboard operation. The house, which had fallen into disrepair, was restored during the 1980s for use as office space.

 

Sources:
King County Landmarks and Heritage Commission.


< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Buildings | Technology | Landmarks |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
King County
National Trust for Historic Preservation


Prescott-Harshman House, Preston
Courtesy King County Office of Cultural Resources


Prescott-Harshman House, Preston, 1985
Courtesy King County Office of Cultural Resources


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org