Captain George Vancouver Julia Butler Hansen Carlos Bulosan Ernestine Anderson Kurt Cobain Bill Gates & Paul Allen Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6772 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Central Library, The Seattle Public Library moves into new Carnegie-funded building on December 19, 1906.

HistoryLink.org Essay 1926 : Printer-Friendly Format

On December 19, 1906, Seattle's new public library building opens in the block between 4th and 5th avenues and Spring and Madison streets. The classical Beaux Arts building was funded by Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919) and designed by Peter J. Weber.

The site was on a rather steep hill fronted by wooden sidewalks and a dirty 4th Avenue. When its front door opened to the public on December 19, 1906, there was no need for a grand stairway.

Within two years, however, the construction of the Carnegie Library resumed when City Engineer R. H. Thomson (1856-1949) directed the regrading of 4th Avenue. At Madison Street, 4th Avenue was lowered 10 feet. One block north at Spring Street, it was lowered two feet more. This put the entrance of the library on the second floor, and required the construction of a grand front stairway to reach the front door.

In its new and grand Beaux Arts landmark, the Central Library began adding departments and services, including in 1907 a periodicals room, and a Fine Arts Division. Also that year, the first embossed books for the blind were circulated. Several deposit stations opened around town, 19 of them in fire stations. By 1907, the library held 93,784 books in its collection and served 29,118 borrowers. Half a million books circulated every year.

The building housed the central library until 1957, when it was torn down and replaced.

Sources:
HistoryLink.org Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History, "Times and Tomes Past: A Pictorial History of the Seattle Public Library" (Paul Dorpat with Chris Goodman,), http://www.historylink.org/ (accessed December 29, 1999); Judy Anderson, Gail Lee Dubrow, and John Koval, The Library Book: A Good Book for a Rainy Day (Seattle: Seattle Arts Commission, 1991), 18, 29.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Special Suite: The Seattle Public Library |

Related Topics: Education | Buildings |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




The Seattle Public Library (Peter J. Weber, 1906), Seattle, ca. 1906
Courtesy The Seattle Public Library (Image No. shp_15209)


Seattle Public Library (Peter J. Weber, 1906)



Demolition, The Seattle Public Library's main branch, October 1957
Courtesy The Seattle Public Library


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org