William O. Douglas Betty Bowen Carl Maxey Chief Joseph Bertha Landes Buffalo Soldier Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6819 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Legislature incorporates the Town of Seattle for the first time on January 14, 1865.

HistoryLink.org Essay 168 : Printer-Friendly Format

On January 14, 1865, the Territory of Washington Legislature incorporates the Town of Seattle for the first time, adopting a city charter that puts the municipal government in the hands of a board of five trustees, to be elected annually. The Legislature defines the city limits as encompassing an area from Howell Street on the north to Atlantic Street on the South, and from Elliott Bay on the west to 24th Avenue S on the east.

The charter stipulated that the trustees were to appoint a town clerk, a marshal, and a magistrate. Of these, the marshal was the only salaried official, receiving $300 per year.

The trustees met for the first time on January 28, 1865. Charles C. Terry (1829-1867) was elected president of the board. Other members were Henry L. Yesler (1810-1892), Hiram Burnett, David T. Denny (1832-1903), and Charles Plummer (d. 1866).

Over the next two years, the trustees adopted a total of 14 ordinances, beginning with one that implemented a municipal tax (possibly a source of resentment that led to the eventual dissolution of Seattle's first municipal government). The second ordinance, titled "Concerning Swine," marked the beginning of police regulation in Seattle. A third provided for the "Prevention of Drunkenness and Disorderly Conduct." The trustees also passed an ordinance calling for the removal of Indians to points outside the town limits and providing for the punishment of those who might harbor them. Another law was aimed at preventing "Reckless and Fast Driving Through the Streets."

The Territorial Legislature disincorporated Seattle on January 18, 1867, after most of the town's leading citizens filed a petition for dissolution. Seattle once again became a precinct of King County. In the latter part of 1869, the citizens asked the Legislature for another municipal government, with a mayor and town council instead of a board of trustees. The Legislature reincorporated Seattle, on December 2, 1869, issuing a new town charter that provided for a "more pretentious" system of government (Bagley, 546).

Sources:
Washington Territory House of Representatives, Journal of the House of Representatives of the Territory of Washington. Twelfth Session of the Legislative Assembly, Begun and Held at Olympia ... December 5th, 1864 ...(Olympia: T. F. McElroy, Printer, 1864), 169; Myra L. Phelps, Public Works in Seattle A Narrative History The Engineering Department, 1875-1975 (Seattle: Seattle Engineering Department, 1978), 225; Clarence B. Bagley, History of Seattle From the Earliest Settlement to the Present Time Vol. 2 (Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1916).
Note: This essay was greatly expanded on September 8, 2004.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Government & Politics | Cities & Towns |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Seattle, looking north on Commercial Street (1st Avenue S), ca. 1864
Photo by E. M. Sammas, Courtesy MOHAI


Charles C. Terry (1828-1867)
Courtesy Bagley, History of King County


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org