< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Kent is incorporated on May 28, 1890.
HistoryLink.org Essay 1666
: Printer-Friendly Format
On May 28, 1890, the City of Kent is incorporated in south King County. Although always known as Kent, the area had also been referred to as Titusville after early settler James H. Titus. Seattle pioneer Henry L. Yesler (1810-1892) platted some land (received in settlement of a debt) in 1884 and designated it the Town of Yesler.
When the Northern Pacific Railroad established a station there in 1885, a general construction engineer by the name of Stone is quoted as saying, "We'll call this station Kent, after Kenty County, England where they raise nothing but hops." Until the turn of the twentieth century, hops (the main ingredient in beer) was the principal crop of the White River (now Green River) Valley.
Clarence B. Bagley, History of King County Washington (Chicago-Seattle: S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1929), pp. 727-728.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Cities & Towns |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You