< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Dexter Horton opens King County's first bank in March 1870.
HistoryLink.org Essay 1511
: Printer-Friendly Format
In March 1870, Dexter Horton (1825-1904) opens the first bank in Seattle. From 1870 to 1875 the bank is located in a small wooden building on northwest corner of Commercial Street (later First Avenue S) and Washington Street. This is the first bank in King County and is the forerunner of Seafirst Bank.
In 1875, the bank moved nearby into Seattle's first stone building.
Thomas Prosch, "A Chronological History of Seattle from 1850 to 1897" (Typescript, dated 1900-1901, Northwest Collection, University of Washington Library, Seattle), 201.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You