Jacob Lawrence and Gwendolyn Knight Hiram M. Chittenden Patsy Collins Gordon Hirabayashi Home William Boeing
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6807 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Cyberpedia Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Anhalt, Frederick William (1896-1996)

HistoryLink.org Essay 121 : Printer-Friendly Format

Builder and contractor Frederick William Anhalt produced some of Seattle’s most noteworthy apartment buildings in the years immediately surrounding the Great Depression.

Early Years

Born in Minnesota, Anhalt had no formal architectural education. From age 14 to 28, he worked within grocery and butcher businesses throughout the Midwest. He came to the building trades and real estate development from a general interest in business and innovation. Anhalt worked briefly as a salesman in Seattle around 1925; this led to an interest in leasing commercial space.

In 1925, Anhalt established a development organization with Jerome B. Hardcastle, a former butcher. By the next year, their Western Building & Leasing Company began constructing new buildings. Anhalt interacted directly with the work of contract architects and skilled builders, gaining interest in design as his company grew. In 1928, he bought out Hardcastle’s share of the business and soon established a focus that would become synonymous with Anhalt’s name -- the luxury apartment building.

The first developments overseen by Anhalt varied. These were commercial and residential, including bungalow apartments and single family houses in many Seattle neighborhoods. The style of these early buildings varied as well, but all were revivals of historical styles.

Analt's Historical Styles

Borrowing elements of historic building styles was popular in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. In the case of Anhalt’s apartment buildings, designers took aspects of earlier European architecture and applied them to new buildings. Often, the buildings had wooden frames clad in the style of choice. Elements that were once structural, like the half-timbering of Tudor or Elizabethan-style houses in England, were applied to the exteriors of Tudor Revival buildings as decorative elements.

When Anhalt joined with Mark B. Borchert to develop luxury apartment buildings in Seattle, the team used Tudor elements and volumes. Examples of these include:

  • 1405 E John Street, Berkeley Court, renamed Anhalt Arms in 2004 (1928)
  • 1516 East Republican Street, now Twin Gables (1928-1929)
  • 750 Belmont Avenue East, now Belmont Court (1929-1930)
  • 1014 East Roy Street (1929-1930)

The building at 1014 East Roy Street was one of the most elaborate designs associated with Anhalt’s company. Its scale and Tudor Revival style, combined with high quality construction, suggested the ideals of his firm. In 1930, Anhalt promoted the mission of his company in “Apartments by Anhalt,” an in-house publication.

Analt's Great Depression

Anhalt completed his four largest apartment buildings after the stock market crash of 1929, but his company soon went bankrupt. He continued smaller scale contracting work. In the decade following his company’s insolvency, Anhalt built custom and speculative houses, many in the Colonial Revival mode, incorporating elements from early American architecture, a trend gaining momentum in the 1920s and 1930s in Seattle and nationwide. He left construction and development in 1942.

Although Anhalt was not an architect, he contributed substantially to Seattle’s residential architecture in the 1920s and 1930s. In 1993, the Seattle Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) honored him with an honorary membership.

Sources:
David A. Rash & Thomas Estep, "Frederick William Anhalt," Shaping Seattle Architecture: A Historical Guide to the Architects, ed. by Jeffrey Karl Ochsner (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1994), 222-227.
Note: This essay was expanded on August 5, 2005.


< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Biographies |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Frederick William Anhalt (1896-1996), ca. 1929
Courtesy Fred Anhalt Collection


750 Belmont Avenue E (Frederick William Anhalt, 1930), now Belmont Court, Seattle
Courtesy Paul Dorpat


Anhalt Arms (formerly Berkeley Court) at 1405 E John (Frederick Wlliam Anhalt, 1928), Seattle, July 5, 2005
HistoryLink.org Photo by Priscilla Long


Anhalt Arms (formerly Berkeley Court) interior at 1405 E John (Frederick Wlliam Anhalt, 1928), Seattle, July 5, 2005
HistoryLink.org Photo by Priscilla Long


Anhalt Arms (formerly Berkeley Court), 1405 E John (Frederick Wlliam Anhalt, 1928), Seattle, July 5, 2005
HistoryLink.org Photo by Priscilla Long


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org